Skip To Content
Story of our School

Official Opening of Caldwell Public School ~ May 1953

The official school opening took place on May 27, 1953 and was officiated by the Minister of Education (W.J. Dunlop) and the Minister of Highways (George. H. Doucett). This event was by invitation only; however it was broadcast over an outdoor speaker system for the public. The following weekend (Saturday May 30th and Sunday May 31st) tours were also offered to the public to see the new school.

The architect was H.H. Roberts (Horace Roberts of Westport) and the contractor was J.B Hughson (of Brockville).  The original building consisted of four rooms and was described as a modern building with facilities in place for future expansion.  An article from January 8, 1953 stated that the general contractor’s price was $92480.

Mr. J.D. McAdam was the supervising principal and other teaching staff included Miss O.M. Robertson, Miss M.L Cumming, Murray Kirkpatrick, and H.G Dallimore.

An 10-room plus a gymnasium addition was finished in 1962, and tenders were called for a second addition of 14-rooms later in 1967 to accommodate the amalgamation of the Carleton Place and Beckwith Township school boards.

Special thanks to Heather Perrault and Linda Seccaspina for all their help in putting together this history of Caldwell Public School.  

To learn more, click on History of our School

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2020 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.